Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sea Life on the way to Catalina Island

Some kind of whale

s
Sea Lion (or Seal) Wave

Dolphins

Fishing Boat

They get so close.


So I had the time this weekend to get away from work and spend my off days with the boat on Catalina Island.  The way there was a little boring and grey with little wind and a few barges to avoid.  But getting closer to the island I was happy to see my first whale ever!  Of coarse I didn't get a good picture but there it was.  

I also kept seeing these fins sticking out of the water like a dead animal floating on the surface.  I realize now that these are either seals or sea lions basking in the sun.  Just when you get up to them the rush off.  I think they are sleeping when this happens.

And last but not least the dolphins.  Hundreds of these guys around here.  You see them coming at you off in the distance, a bunch of stirring water and fins.  They literally come at you in full speed, then they check you out for a while swim with you, actually look at you, weave in and out right in front of the boat.  Some jump out and do tricks for you.  I could watch them for hours.  They are like happy puppies eager for attention.  I always enjoy their company and am sad to see them go.

No comments: